Video Credit: AsiaWire
This harrowing footage reportedly shows a teenage boy being electrocuted inside a fast-food restaurant while holding his charging Huawei phone.
The tragedy which claimed the life of 13-year-old Liu, who was identified only by his surname, happened inside a Wallace fast-food chain in the city of Nanchang, capital of Jiangxi Province in East China, on 16th August.
CCTV video shows Liu and a friend sitting at a booth together, with the victim dressed in a bright green T-shirt seen holding the Chinese-made Huawei phone which is plugged into the wall socket.
Seconds later, Liu’s entire body jolts up and becomes totally rigid as he appears to receive an electric shock from the smartphone.
He later slumps back in his seat still clutching the Huawei phone in his hands as his friend walks over to check on him.
According to reports, Liu was declared dead at a local hospital, with doctors confirming that he had died of an electric shock which stopped his heart.
Medics attempted for two hours to revive him, reports said.
Liu’s older sister said burn marks indicative of electrocution were found on the teen’s face.
The Huawei phone in question had been charged with a third-party cable bought from a phone shop near the boy’s home, and was not the original that came with the device, the sister revealed.
The Huawei smartphone still powers on and works normally, according to reports.
Local media report the Wallace fast-food restaurant has reopened its doors but has taped up the socket used by the young victim.
Investigations are ongoing as authorities try to determine whether the shock came from the phone, the charging cable, or the wall socket.
There have no been reports of the boy’s parents taking legal action after the incident.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.