This distressing footage shows a young monkey screeching in pain as it is electrocuted by a live wire before its sibling rushes to its rescue.
The dramatic incident was captured by witnesses inside Qianling Park in Guiyang, capital of Guizhou Province in south-western China, on 4th January.
In the video, park-goers can be heard screaming in distress as the young rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta) appears to receive repeated electric shocks from a cable hanging from a teahouse’s air-conditioning unit.
It screeches in pain but is unable to let go of the wire until one of its larger siblings jumps onto the roof of the building and pulls the wire away.
The heroic animal is also left temporarily paralysed by the electric current as witnesses try in vain to warn the monkeys.
The shocking incident ends with both macaques finally able to break free as they fall off the roof and run away.
Local resident Ms Gong, who can be heard screaming in the video, told local media: “There’s an air-conditioning unit on the roof of the teahouse.
“The air con has an exposed wire which the playful monkey started fiddling with.
“As soon as the monkey grabbed the wire, it received an electric shock and none of us could rescue it.
“Its brother or sister jumped onto the roof to save it and also received a shock.
“It managed to let go [of the cable] and both leapt off.”
Ms Gong said neither monkey was harmed.
Park managed said in a statement to local media that they were looking into the exposed wire and would send for repairs.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.