Two passengers aboard a flight to Singapore were injured after a portable charger caught fire as the plane was preparing for takeoff from Taoyuan International Airport in Taiwan.
Footage taken from an unnamed passenger’s phone shows flight attendants attempting to keep distressed people calm as the fire and smoke begins to cause panic.
The fire started when a power bank spontaneously ignited and quickly filled the air with smoke, forcing all 189 passengers and crew to evacuate the aircraft.
Two people aboard Flight TR993, which was set to take off from Taiwan on Tuesday evening, 10th January, received minor injuries.
One of them was the owner of the rechargeable power bank, which exploded when it overheated, causing the fire.
The other was reportedly his companion.
Both had received medical evaluation which concluded they did not require any hospital treatment and they were cleared for travelling.
The plane, which managed to return safely to the gate after the fire was put out, underwent proper inspections and then resumed its flight later that evening.
Further investigations into the incident are underway, as Scoot, the airline in question, announced in a statement.
The statement added: “Scoot sincerely apologises for the incident. The safety of our customers and crew is our top priority.”