Clumsy Cat Starts Blaze At Whisky Distillery

Story ByLee Bullen, Sub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyCEN 

Video Credit: AsiaWire/@elevenbroadcasting

This is the moment a fire engulfs a whisky distillery after a cat reportedly fell on a transformer and burst into flames.

The incident took place at the YD Distillery in the township of Thaketa in Yangon, the largest city in Myanmar (formerly Burma), and footage shows the fast-spreading blaze and the moment the firefighters arrive in three engines.

A firefighting spokesperson said: “The fire began when a cat fell on a transformer and destroyed the porcelain bushing (that was) insulating the mineral oil used to stabilise and cool the transformer. The oil and heat started the fire.”

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Pictures Credit: AsiaWire

According to local media, 50 firefighters in three engines arrived 10 minutes after the blaze started and they managed to quickly extinguish the flames.

Reports said that the cat did not survive the fire.

Before the emergency services arrived on the scene, a local resident tried to tackle the fire and reportedly received burns all over his body when the mineral oil splashed on him.

U Win Naing told local media: “I was burned on my right side from all the hot oil. I didn’t feel anything when it first happened

The fire department has confirmed that the electricity manager at the distillery has been charged with negligence under article 285 of the penal code.

The mineral oil used in some transformers and high-voltage capacitors is highly flammable and can easily set off a blaze when it leaks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *