A young mum has been killed while reportedly trying in vain to save her toddler son who was also killed when he touched a faulty wire at their home.
The incident took place in the city of Maicao in the northern Colombian department of La Guajira where the mum, identified as Nohemy Saray Garizao, 26, and her two-year-old son Dilan Pineda Garizao were found dead by a relative.
The brother of the 26-year-old victim, Samuel Garizao, told local media that Nohemy had switched on a water pump to do the laundry when her toddler son started playing in the area and touched some wires.
He believes that Nohemy tried to save her son and was electrocuted in the process, although the authorities are also looking into whether she died while trying to switch off the water pump.
The two bodies were found by a relative who came to visit, according to reports.
Nohemy was about to graduate as a nurse and lived in the house with her husband and their young son.
Friend of the family Johny Delgado described her as a woman who always looked for a silver lining when faced with a problem.
He added: “Her priority was her son and finishing her studies in order to take care of him, but this tragedy destroyed that dream.”
Police spokesman Hernan Gomez warned other residents: “It is more common to use this kind of equipment during the hot season, but children need to be careful around wires, which should be checked to make sure they are in a good state and do not pose a risk.”
The investigation is ongoing.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.