Woman, 75, Dies After Hand Gel Explodes From Stove Heat

Story By: Juan Mayes, Sub-Editor: Joana Mihajlovska, Agency:  Newsflash

A 75-year-old woman has died from burn injuries caused by a bottle of hand gel igniting from the heat coming from her stove nearly two months earlier.

The woman died at Hospital Vall d’Hebron in the city of Barcelona in the Spanish region of Catalonia on 7th February.

Encarnacion Blanes, 75, died after suffering second and third-degree burns in the front part of her body at her home in the town of Manresa during the evening of 13th December.


Local media said Blanes was preparing a meal in her kitchen when the heat radiating from her stove caused a nearby bottle of hydroalcoholic gel to explode and catch fire.

Her husband, who has not been named but is reported to be aged 76, was also injured in the incident. He was treated for second-degree burns at Hospital Sant Joan de Deu in Manresa and was allowed to go home later the same night.

Blanes was immediately taken to Hospital Vall d’Hebron by the authorities where she remained until her recent passing.


The local authorities reminded citizens to avoid leaving hand gel near sources of heat such as stoves and radiators to avoid similar incidents taking place.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.