Tot Needs New Liver After Parents Gave Him Fever Pills

Story By: Marija PetrovskaSub-EditorAlex Cope, Agency: Central European News

Picture Credit: AsiaWire/ Phu Tho General Hospital

This two-year-old Vietnamese boy is in a critical condition with severe paracetamol poisoning after his parents gave him four pills a day for four consecutive days to treat a fever.

According to reports, the 27-month-old patient, identified as T.V.D., was admitted to the Phu Tho Town Hospital in the northern Vietnamese province of Phu Tho.

When the toddler arrived at hospital, he was reportedly suffering from drowsiness, a high fever of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit), breathing difficulties, tachycardia (high heart rate) and an enlarged liver.

The toddler’s family confirmed that they had given him four 500-milligram paracetamol pills for four days in a row to combat the boy’s high fever, according to reports.

Doctors diagnosed severe metabolic acidosis due to paracetamol poisoning in the young patient, according to local media.

Medics used a ventilator to aid the toddler’s breathing and reportedly performed gastric irrigation and alkaline treatment.

Picture Credit: AsiaWire/ Phu Tho General Hospital

Two hours later, the toddler’s condition worsened and he slipped into a coma with symptoms of acute liver failure, which included an accelerated heart rate, low blood pressure and severe coagulopathy, according to local media.

Doctors have stated that the toddler needs a liver transplant in order to survive and he was reportedly transferred to the Vietnam National Hospital of Pediatrics in the capital Hanoi to continue his treatment.

Dr. Phan Hong Sang said that a similar incident occurred last year when a three-year-old patient died in hospital from paracetamol poisoning.

He said: “The situation of children taking paracetamol [and experiencing an] antipyretic drug overdose is very dangerous, resulting in serious consequences.

“Therefore, we strongly advise parents to consult a specialist for the correct dosage and instructions when their child has a fever and not give their child medication on their own.”

Paracetamol poisoning, otherwise known as acetaminophen poisoning, is caused by an overdose of acetaminophen, and may cause complications such as kidney failure, pancreatitis and even death.

There have been no further updates on the tot’s current condition.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.