Man Dies Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Falling Asleep In Car With Coal Powered Kettle On

Story By: Feza Uzay, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency:  Newsflash

A man who put a coal-powered kettle on in his car to stay warm has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after it released the deadly gas while he slept.

Friends of Feridun Dan, 45, who had a mobile grilled meatball restaurant in the rural neighbourhood of Sunluk in the district of Mustafakemalpasa in the Turkish province of Bursa, were worried about his welfare after they failed to reach him by phone.

As a result, one of his friends, who has not been named, went to check up on him one morning and when he opened the door to his vehicle, he saw his friend lying still.

Feridun Dan, 45, died after being poisoned by the gas of a samovar which he put in his car to warm up in Bursa, Turkey. (Newsflash)

He immediately reported the situation to the police and medical teams who could only confirm Feridun’s death after arriving on the scene.

They noted that he had been using a ‘samovar’ in the car to stay warm.

A samovar is typically a coal-heated metal container used to boil water. Originally from Russia, they are very popular in Eastern Europe and in the Middle East. They can be used to boil water and brew tea, and are generally heated with coal or kindling.

The car of Feridun Dan, 45, in which he died after being poisoned by the gas of a samovar he put in to warm up in Bursa, Turkey. (Newsflash)

Local media reports that a preliminary investigation determined that the victim had set up the samovar in his vehicle to stay warm at night. But after he fell asleep, he was poisoned by the carbon monoxide gas emanating from the device.

The cause of death has yet to be formally determined and the authorities are conducting an autopsy on the victim’s corpse.

The investigation continues.