Video Credit: AsiaWire
This teenage girl has tragically died two weeks after a DIY popcorn machine made with a drink can exploded in her and her friend’s faces.
Zhou Zhe, 14, sustained burns on 96 percent of her body, including 75 percent third-degree burns and 21 percent second-degree burns, during the accident in the village of Liangxinzhuang, which is in Zaozhuang City in East China’s Shandong Province, on 22nd August.
She and her neighbour, Peng Xiangyu, 12, were said to have been imitating viral videos seen on popular live-streaming platforms such as Tik Tok and Kwai in which vloggers pop kernels using a modified fizzy drink or beer can.
According to Peng, who doctors say sustained burns on 13 percent of her body, they had attempted the seemingly fun ‘life hack’ by burning 90-percent ethanol underneath the can, which exploded when they tried to add more accelerant before extinguishing the existing flame.
Video Credit: AsiaWire / Kwai
The girls were placed under the care of Zaozhuang Municipal Hospital burn specialist Huang Wei, who confirmed that Zhou Zhe succumbed to fatal infections and sepsis at roughly 11am local time on 5th September – 14 days after the initial accident.
Doctor Huang said Peng was fortunately in stable condition.
Zhou Zhe’s family had previously asked for donations from the public after her medical bills reached over 100,000 RMB (11,350 GBP).
Chinese social media users have called for more regulation of live-streaming services, which are often used to spread inappropriate content.
However, none of the video-sharing platforms are expected to be held liable for the girls’ accident.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.