Five Month Old Baby Has Large Safety Pin Removed From Oesophagus

Story By: Arian MovileanuSub-EditorJames King,  Agency: Newsflash

A five-month-old baby boy has had a large safety pin removed from his oesophagus.

The tot was treated at Firat University Hospital in the city of Elazig in the Turkish province of the same name and attending physician Prof Dr Yasar Dogan managed to remove the obstruction in around 15 minutes.

According to local media, his parents Esvet and Amine Solmaz, who live in the city of Diyarbakir, located in Diyarbakir province, noticed that the five-month-old boy, named Efraim, had swallowed a foreign object.


Relatives took the tot to a nearby medical centre before he was transferred to Firat University Hospital in Elazig.

Doctors performed an endoscopy on the baby and managed to remove the safety pin in around a quarter of an hour.

Little Efraim was then kept in the hospital under observation as a precautionary measure and was later discharged.


Prof. Dr Yasar Dogan said: “The five-month-old baby was sent to us from Diyarbakir.

“The child put a bead and the safety pin into his mouth. At the time, the bead was removed by family members, but they were unable to take out the pin and he then swallowed it.

“We advise families not to wear objects or leave around items that could pose a danger to young children.”

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.