Dutchman Dies After Metal Shards Embedded In Skull When Steel Petanque Ball Exploded

A Dutchman critically injured after a steel petanque ball that had been left near a fire pit exploded during a bachelor party has died.

Picture shows an illustrative image of petanque balls, undated. Unnamed Dutch man, 37, from Eindhoven was injured by exploded petanque ball laying near a fire pit during bachelor party in rented holiday house in Stavelot, Belgium on Saturday, May 13, 2023. (Newsflash)

The explosion reportedly burned his whole face and embedded metal shards in his skull.

A neighbour said that he “thought that a gas bottle had exploded” in the incident that left the 37-year-old unnamed Dutch tourist from Eindhoven seriously injured in the blast around 9:30 PM on 13th May.

It has now been revealed that the man died on 18th May as a result of the explosion that took place in the Belgian town of Stavelot, in Wallonia.

It was alleged that the tourists all aged in their mid-30s reportedly placed petanque balls either in or under the fire pit, with one of them becoming so hot that it exploded. Petanque is a popular French game that involves throwing metal balls as close as possible to a small wooden or plastic ball called a cochonnet.

After his death his family told local media: “We are shocked by the sudden death, he will be greatly missed.” They asked that beyond that statement their privacy be respected so they can grieve in peace.

The neighbour told local media: “Fifteen minutes later we saw an ambulance arriving. Then we heard a medical helicopter circling above. Then I knew it was for the holiday home.”

Picture shows Javier Parmenier, the neighbor of holiday house in Stavelot, Belgium, undated. Here unnamed Dutch man, 37, from Eindhoven was injured by exploded petanque ball laying near a fire pit during bachelor party on Saturday, May 13, 2023. (Newsflash)

He added: “We heard the paramedics talking among themselves. So someone was seriously injured, his whole face was burned.”

The victim was transferred by helicopter to the University Hospital in Liege, where he was placed in an artificial coma.

The Stavelot-Malmedy Police told local media: “It had the same effect as a grenade.”

They added: “When the ball exploded, pieces flew into the back of someone’s skull.”

A second Dutchman was also reportedly injured in the explosion, suffering light injuries.

The police are investigating the incident.