Toddler Survives Deadly Snake Bite After Docs Were Able To ID Dead Reptile - ViralTab

Toddler Survives Deadly Snake Bite After Docs Were Able To ID Dead Reptile

Story ByMichael Leidig, Sub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyNewsflash

A one-year-old toddler has survived a bite from a highly-venomous jararaca snake after it was killed and taken to hospital with the boy to help doctors identify the best antidote.

Little Benjamin whose full name was not given was taken to Hospital Santo Antonio in the city of Blumenau in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina along with the dead snake so doctors could identify the species and give the right antidote.

According to the child’s 36-year-old father, radiodiagnostic technician Paulo Henrique Machado, the tot was playing in his grandmother’s back garden on 13th September when he was bitten by the snake.

Benjamin Vicente Machado, a year and a half-old was taken to the hospital after being bitten by a snake on 13th September, in Blumenau, Brazil. (Paulo Henrique de Almeida Machado/Newsflash)

Family members noticed the bite when the toddler began crying and a neighbour found the snake near where Benjamin was playing.

The neighbour killed the reptile and placed it in a pot so the family could take it to hospital and help doctors identify the correct species.

Paulo said: “I stepped on the accelerator with a feeling of dread because I didn’t know how much time I still had left.

Benjamin Vicente Machado, a year and a half-old was taken to the hospital after being bitten by a snake on 13th September, in Blumenau, Brazil. (Paulo Henrique de Almeida Machado/Newsflash)

“Doctors took a photo of the snake and sent it to a specialist who identified it as a young jararaca.

“The feeling is now one of relief. We were very scared before, but now we are relieved, despite the stress.”

Doctor Augusto Ronchi said it was very important that the family could inform doctors what kind of snake it was, adding: “Jararacas, the snake that caused the accident, can be mistaken for populations of non-venomous snakes.

The snake that bite Benjamin Vicente Machado, was also taken to the hospital, so that an antidote can be given, on 13th September, in Blumenau, Brazil. (Paulo Henrique de Almeida Machado/Newsflash)

“The fact the child cannot speak or describe the animal could have caused a delay in the diagnosis, therefore it is important to take photos or, when possible, safely bring the animal in to assist with the evaluation.”

In Brazil, treatment for snake bites is provided by the country’s public healthcare system SUS.

The boy left hospital on 15th September.

Michael Leidig

Looking for enquiries from partners to help our freelance journalism network to grow.