These shocking images show the huge fire which has destroyed a luxury hotel in the Caribbean.
The startling images were taken when the luxury hotel Jaba Nibue, located in a kind of mountain in Playa Grande (Big Beach), on the Colombian Caribbean coast, in the municipality of Taganga, in the department of Santa Marta, went up in flames.
Local media report the whole of the hotel was affected, with 24 huts being totally destroyed.
In the video recorded from a boat, the huge fire can be seen burning through the huts on a hill at night.
Another clip shows people trying to put the huge flames out with buckets of water.
The authorities have not confirmed if there were any injuries but local newspaper El Heraldo report that eight people were affected, four with first-degree burns and four others by smoke inhalation.
An unnamed witness said the area smelled of gas while others claim the fire was caused by foreign female tourists throwing a cigarette away. Their nationality was not reported.
There has been no official comment on the reasons behind the fire. Local media reported that 10 people were rescued from the place as firefighters went to the scene
The hotel, owned by the Pizarro family, was reportedly considered one of the most beautiful in Taganga, an area popular with backpackers and scuba divers.
It had a swimming pool, a garden and a restaurant. It is located five kilometres from the city centre of Santa Marta and it is considered an eco resort.
It is unclear if the fire is being investigated.
The hotel shared a message on its Instagram profile saying: “We would like to wake up in the morning and everything had been a nightmare. From all Jaba family we want to thank you for all your support words. We will send a press statement soon”.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.