A three-year-old boy has been saved after surgeons removed a silver play coin that had been stuck in his throat for three months.
His parents – from Siem Pang District, Stung Treng Province, Cambodia – told medics he had swallowed it three months ago.
They had not been able to go to hospital at the time because they could not afford the cost of the journey, according to local media.
Doctors at Kantha Bopha Hospital – who did not charge for the procedure – removed the coin after locating it with an X-ray.
The silver coin – about the size of a GBP 10 pence piece – has the word ‘apple’ engraved on it in an outline of the fruit.
The boy is now recovering with his family.