An infant boy has died after a bungling pharmacist sold his family eyedrops instead of anti-sickness medicine.
Tragic Ravi Lorenzo died in the municipality of Formosa in Brazil’s Goias State on 5th March after ingesting the eyedrops.
Earlier, his mother had taken him to a local emergency care unit because he was vomiting and had a fever.
After a check-up, medics prescribed two-month-old Ravi three medicines including Bromopride, which is used to treat nausea and vomiting.
Police chief Fernanda Lima told local media: “The child’s grandfather reported that he went to the pharmacy and bought these medications.
“He took the medicines to the child’s mother, who administered them according to the prescription. After some time, the child started crying and screaming in pain.”
Ravi’s mum soon realised the pharmacist had actually sold them Brimonidine Tartrate, a medication used to treat open-angle glaucoma or high fluid pressure in the eye.
She took her son back to the emergency care unit, where medics intubated him. However, he ended up passing away.
Civil Police say a preliminary report acknowledges that the ingestion of the eyedrops may have caused Ravi’s death.
However, the post-mortem examination and final autopsy report were still pending at the time of reporting.
Police are currently withholding the name of the pharmacy that mistakenly sold the eyedrops.