Swallowed Headscarf Pin Removed From Womans Lung - ViralTab

Swallowed Headscarf Pin Removed From Womans Lung

Story ByLee Bullen,Sub EditorJoseph Golder,AgencyAsia Wire Report

A Muslim woman has had a pin removed from her left lung after accidentally swallowing the fastener while clenching it in her teeth as she put on her headscarf.

The incident took place in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur where it is common for women to use pins or brooches to fasten certain clothing items, such as headscarves, as well as make them appear elegant or even elaborate.

Picture Credit: AsiaWire/@RespiUKM

Reports said it also common for women to clench the fasteners in their teeth while using both hands to put on the clothing item.

However, as one Muslim recently discovered, the practice can be dangerous.

Community Doctor Kamarul Ariffin Nor Sadan said the incident was not the first time he has treated a patient for accidentally swallowing pins they were holding between their teeth.

Picture Credit: AsiaWire/@RespiUKM

He wrote on social media: “The team at Respiratory UKMMC extracted a pin from a woman’s left lung with a bronchoscopy procedure. Scary!”

One netizen commented on the doctor’s social media post: “The same thing happened to my classmate, Doctor. She was putting on her headscarf when one of our friends did something funny. She accidentally swallowed not one but two pins and was taken to hospital where they were moved without needing surgery.”

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.