A mum, her two daughters aged 12 and 17, and a bricklayer working on their property have all been shot in the head during a robbery.
The bricklayer and the 17-year-old girl died from their injuries, while the other two victims are in a critical condition.
The shocking crime took place at the residence where the woman and her two daughters lived in the Brazilian city of Itanhaem on the night of Friday, 24th September.
A neighbour, whose name was not reported, said that after hearing screams, she and her daughter entered the residence, where they found the four victims shot in the head.
She said the bricklayer was tied up face-down and the two girls were also on the floor with the eldest heavily bloodied.
According to the neighbour, the mother, who had been shot in the face, was still alive and begged the woman and her daughter to try to save her two daughters.
In addition to shooting the victims, the perpetrators stole the family’s car as well as other possessions inside the residence.
The bricklayer, 44-year-old Geosaldo Cesario Monteiro, who was not related to the other victims, died shortly after being shot.
The teenage girl, named Isabelle Amaral Costa, died in hospital on Saturday, 25th September after having been rescued by the neighbour and her daughter.
The younger girl and her mother, aged 41, remained in separate hospitals in different locations in the state of Sao Paulo at the time of reporting.
The neighbour said: “It was a massacre, four people shot in the head. Dreadful. The mum said she told them to take everything so they didn’t touch them, but they didn’t listen.”
“The mum was shot, in a serious condition, but with the adrenaline of her love for her daughters, she had the strength to ask for help, shake my daughter and say ‘save my daughters, they’re going to die’.”
The teenage victim was buried in the city of Sao Bernardo do Campo on Sunday, 26th September.
The police arrested two women aged 20 and 26, two men aged 22 and 27, and a 16-year-old boy, whom they suspect took part in the crime.
The 22-year-old man has reportedly confessed to firing the shots with a revolver, which the police seized along with the stolen car keys.
The 22-year-old man and the teenage suspect, who were arrested in a guesthouse, told the police the location of the victims’ car, which is where the remaining suspects were arrested.
The remaining suspects are believed to have helped the pair to escape after they committed the crime.
According to reports, the man who allegedly fired the shots was already considered a wanted person by the Judiciary of the city of Campinas.
The police are investigating the case, and the suspects remained in custody at the time of reporting.