This young pretty woman has had to have the tip of her thumb amputated after it swelled up from an infection after a false nail was stuck over a wound.
At the time of reporting, Jenneffer Souza of the Brazilian city of Duque de Caxias was in hospital awaiting her third operation after a simple false nail led to her losing part of her thumb.
The young woman’s problems began at the nail bar. She had a wound on her thumb at the time, and the fibreglass nail was passed over it before being placed on top of her natural nail.
It is not clear if she knew she had the wound at the time or if the wound was so small that she and the nail artist did not notice it.
The young woman’s thumb then swelled up, resulting in her experiencing pain. She said: “My nail started to feel sore, but for me it was normal. It was no big deal.
“After it felt sore, one day my thumb started to swell up a lot and I couldn’t work. The next day I went straight to hospital.”
Doctors gave the young woman anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and other medication. However, her thumb began to ooze pus, and she had to return to hospital days later due to the severe pain.
At the time of reporting, she remained in hospital, having undergone two operations, including one to remove the top of her thumb, with another pending and no date yet set for her discharge.
Jenneffer, who boasts 75,800 followers on TikTok where she has been documenting her drama, said: “I’m traumatised. No one imagines getting their nails done and losing the tip of their finger.”
Experts believe her symptoms were caused by cellulitis, a skin infection caused by a bacterial infection. The bacteria can infect the deeper layers of the skin if it is broken.
Experts recommend waiting until any wounds are completely healed before getting false nails done.