Ball Of Fire As Charging E-Bike Battery Explodes In Home

Story By: John FengSub-EditorJoseph Golder, Agency: Asia Wire Report


This is the moment a homeowner is engulfed in a cloud of smoke and fire as a charging e-bike battery suddenly explodes in his sitting room.

The dramatic incident was captured on a sitting room surveillance camera on 4th April, according to the authorities in Yangpu District in China’s eastern port city of Shanghai.

In the footage, the homeowner sitting on his sofa is startled when his charging e-bike battery suddenly pops and sparks begin shooting out the sides of the box.

The man’s wife, who can be heard out of frame, gasps as the electric bike’s battery, which had been plugged in near their television, begins erupting and dark smoke fills the room.

Just six seconds later, as the homeowner goes to unplug the charging battery, it explodes with a loud roar.

The entire sitting room is engulfed in a cloud of smoke and flames as the video ends.

The fire service said no one was harmed during the incident, with the couple reportedly able to escape before the flames died down again.

It was still unclear why the e-bike battery exploded.

The fire service has advised against charging bike or electric car batteries indoors or in stairwells.

The authorities did not reveal the make and model of the electric bike.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.