A seven-month-old baby girl choked to death in a parked car while her mother left her alone to have sex in a motel room.
Police say the baby died from carbon monoxide poisoning because her mother left the car engine running in an underground car park.
The mum – named as 19-year-old Maria Camila Mengual Mojica – told police she had wanted to leave the car’s air conditioning running to keep the baby cool.
But the unit sucked up fumes from a faulty exhaust system and asphyxiated the baby.
Mojica and her former partner Humberto Manuel Olivilla Pineda, 23, had agreed to meet for a sex session at the motel in Valledupar, Colombia.
But when they later opened the car doors, the fumes inside were so strong they passed out on the spot.
Local media report that they were quizzed by police but were not arrested.
A forensic examination of the baby confirmed death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Local police chief Colonel Luis Leon said: “They left the vehicle running and fainted due to gas inhalation.
“As a consequence of this, the minor also died in this unfortunate case that occurred on Sunday night.”
Prosecutors confirmed they are investigating the mother for possible charges of criminal responsibility for the death of the baby.