This one-month-old baby has been left in hospital with third-degree burns after an exploding firework was shot at his breastfeeding mum and hit him.
The incident took place on the porch of a house located in the colony Real de San Jose, in the municipality of Juarez, in the north-eastern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon on Monday as 20-year-old mother Xiomara Melendez was breastfeeding her one-month-old son Jair.
A firecracker then suddenly hit the tot and exploded, causing injuries to his chest and neck.
Xiomara and her husband, named Miguel Angel, took the baby to hospital number 21 located in the city of Monterrey with the help of neighbours and the tot remains hospitalised.
The family does not know where the firecracker came from or who launched it.
Jair was reportedly left with first, second and third-degree burns in the incident. Doctors are unsure if he will require surgery as they are focusing on treating his injuries and giving him medication to prevent further issues.
Activists have called for an end of the use of firecrackers and fireworks around Christmas and reports state some municipalities have banned the sale of firecrackers although they are still being sold on the black market. The names of the municipalities have not been reported.
It is unclear if a criminal investigation has been launched and no arrests have been reported.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.