This footage shows how park rangers, cops and a vet saved an ibex from choking on a rusty can of tuna before it sadly died later.
The rescue took place near Lake Sorapiss, which lies near Cortina d’Ampezzo in the Dolomites in north-eastern Italy, on 28th August.
The rusty can of tuna had been discarded in the scenic spot by a litterbug hiker and had been eaten by an unfortunate Alpine ibex, trapping its tongue and locking its jaw.
Footage shows how Dolomites rangers, carabinieri, and a vet anaesthetised the animal and removed the rusty can from its mouth.
They had been helicoptered into the location after a park ranger spotted the distressed and undernourished animal and raised the alarm.
Once the anaesthetic had worn off, the ibex got to its feet and was able to leap among its surroundings again.
But sadly, the 10- or 11-year-old male specimen was found to have died during a later checkup, despite hopes it would have fully recovered from the ordeal.
News of the animal’s passing was broken on 30th August.
The European, or Alpine, ibex (Capra ibex ibex) is a species of wild goat that lives in the mountains of the European Alps.
It is categorised as a species of least concern by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
However, it has low genetic diversity, putting it at risk of inbreeding depression.