This tragic teenager has died after being electrocuted as he cleaned the family home while his mum was in hospital with COVID-19.
Juan Eduardo, 14, decided to stay and look after the family home after his mother Adriana, 37, was taken to hospital with breathing difficulties in the municipality of Ecatepec, in the central Mexican state of Mexico.
The mother had been diagnosed with COVID-19 several days before and her son had reportedly been looking after her until her condition worsened.
After she was taken to hospital Adriana sent her children, Juan Eduardo, a 15-year-old daughter and two twins whose names are not reported, to live with their relatives, but Juan Eduardo decided to stay home to look after it and wait for his mother’s return.
Reports state a heavy rainstorm hit the area and water went into the home, with the teenager then turning on a pump to remove it as he cleaned the house. However, there was a short circuit and the youngster was electrocuted, according to reports.
His mother told local media: “My son told me ‘I will stay with you, if you die, what am I going to do? No, mum, I will die with you, we will die together.”
She said she will always be grateful for the care he gave her when she fell ill.
The teenager had recently celebrated his birthday, with local lawyer Carlos Mota from the Delots Foundation hearing he was looking after his mother and sending them cake and food.
After hearing of the tragic death, Mota said on social media that the mother had been harassed and threatened by neighbours after they found out she was infected with coronavirus.
Adriana reportedly suspects she may have contracted the virus in the last week of February but she is not certain.
According to the latest figures from the Johns Hopkins University, Mexico has registered 2,143 confirmed cases of COVID.19 with 94 deaths and 633 recovered.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.