Tot Left In Room For 17hrs With No Water By Dad Dies

Story By: Kathryn Quinn, Sub EditorJoseph GolderAgency: Central European News

A father faces murder charges after he allegedly left his toddler in a hot room with no way out without water for over 17 hours leading to tot’s death.

According to police in Essen, the central and second-largest city of the Ruhr, the largest urban area in Germany, they received a call to say that a lifeless two-year-old child was in a house in the city. 

Police sent rescuers to the house but when they arrived, the child’s father, named only as Benjamin S., 31, was reportedly standing in front of the house shouting: “My child is dying, come up quickly.”

previous arrow
next arrow

Pictures Credit: CEN

According to local media, it was not the father who made the emergency call.

Local media report other family members were in the home at the time, but it is not confirmed who was there.

When the emergency doctor reached the third floor where the child was, he could only confirm the child’s death.

Police spokesman Christoph Wickhorst, 30, said: “The postmortem showed the child died as a result of circulatory failure after going into heat shock.

“There were also signs of a strong lack of fluid intake in the body. It is possible the child was not given anything to drink over a long period of time.” 

According to reports in German newspaper Bild, the child was kept in the hot room for between 17 and 18 hours and had no way of getting out of the room alone. 

The boy’s 21-year-old mother Angelina B., was staying with another man at the time of the incident as the parents are separated.

The father Benjamin S. was arrested by cops and Public Prosecutor Elke Hinterberg, 57, branded his actions ‘barbaric’ adding the child went through ‘unimaginable suffering’. The father was remanded in custody facing murder charges.

The boy’s two siblings, aged one and four years old, were also with the father and were handed over to social services.

According to local media, the family were known to social services.

Neighbour Christian M., 44, said: “I was sometimes woken up by the screaming from the apartment. On 9th June I notified social services. They told me next time to call the police.”

The man said around two weeks later he called the police but when they came they said to him: “They came to me and asked what they should do. They could not find any injuries to the children. It seemed like they were making accusations.”

The mother was also arrested, but was released the following day.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

The SunMirror

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *