A 17-year-old girl was tragically zapped to death as she used her charging mobile phone after getting out of the shower.
Maria Ingrid Beatriz da Silva had been charging the phone while she showered at her grandmother’s house in Bodo, north-eastern Brazil, on 19th November.
Cousin Maria Suzanny told how she had got dressed and picked up her phone while it was still plugged into the mains.
She told local media: “Her aunt went in the bedroom and found her slumped with the mobile phone on her chest.
“She pulled the plug and when she looked, it started to give off sparks of fire.”
Maria was rushed by family to a local health facility and from there, she was swiftly transferred to a larger facility in Cerro Cora, where she died.
Forensic experts gave the teenager’s cause of death as electric shock.
Her body was returned to her family on 20th November following a post-mortem examination in Caico.
She was buried in Bodo on 20th November.
Safety professionals advise against using mobile phones while they are charging due to risk of electrocution.