A teenage boy who moved to Moscow to live with his father and start a new life has died after he was electrocuted while charging his smartphone while taking a bath.
The incident took place at the Olympic Village in the Western Administrative Okrug, in the Russian capital Moscow on Sunday, 20 February, at about 4 PM.
The teenager, who has not been named, but who was reportedly 16 years old, was reportedly playing on his mobile phone while taking a bath.
The phone was reportedly plugged in to a charger despite there not being any power outlets in the bathroom. But the teenager reportedly set up an extension cord so that he could use his phone while in the bath.
An unnamed friend from Uzbekistan who was reportedly watching television in another room then suddenly heard screams coming from the bathroom and when he entered the room, he found the teenager’s limp body lying in the bathtub.
The phone was reportedly also found in the bathtub, and the extension cord had become partially submerged in the water.
Medics were called to the scene but they could only pronounce the teenager dead despite repeated attempts to start his heart again.
The teenager’s 41-year-old father, unnamed, who is reportedly originally from Armenia, worked as an interior decorator and after his wife died of cancer in 2014, he moved to Moscow with his son to find work. He also has a daughter, unnamed, but she had already flown the nest and is studying at university.
It is believed that the mobile phone slipped from the teenager’s hands and fell into the water while connected to the charger, delivering a fatal electric shock.
The police are investigating the incident.