A 20-year-old student died in a freak accident after choking on her breakfast cereal.
Diana Farcas, 20, was found dead by her horrified mother in Doljesti, a commune in Neamt County, in Western Moldavia, eastern Romania, on Tuesday, 7th March, according to local media.
Paramedics later declared her dead at the family home.
Police spokesperson Ramona Ciofu said: “On 7th March 2023, at around 12:00, the police officers of the Sagna Rural Police Department were alerted by an emergency call, regarding the fact that, in the town of Doljesti, the medical staff on the ambulance found the death of a young woman, 20 years old, from Doljesti.
“Her body was transported to the Neamt Forensic Medicine Service, in order to carry out an autopsy.
“The investigations are continuing within a criminal case opened for the crime of manslaughter. Her mother found her in her room, at around 10:30am.”
The Faculty of Geography and Geology at the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University in Iasi – where Diana was a student in her final year – said on 8th March: “With pain in our hearts, we inform you that yesterday one of our 3rd-year Geography Tourism students, Diana Andreea Farcas, passed away.
“We send our condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and everyone who was close to her.
“May God rest her soul in peace!”
Diana’s funeral took place on Saturday, 11th March in the village of Rotunda, in Doljesti.