The so-called Donetsk People’s Republic has said that one of its attack drones dropped a bomb on a Ukrainian military pickup truck.
The footage appears to show the drone dropping its ordnance on the Ukrainian military pickup truck and damaging it.
The images were obtained from the People’s Militia of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) on Sunday, 5th February, along with a statement claiming: “Attack UAVs of the 132nd Brigade hit the enemy’s pickup truck.
“The operator of the shock drone of the 132nd brigade of the 1st army corps (formerly the 3rd brigade of the NM DPR) managed to hit the enemy’s transport with a well-aimed bomb drop.”
We have not been able to independently verify the claims or the footage.
Russia invaded Ukraine on 24th February 2022 in what the Kremlin is still calling a “special military operation”. Today marks the 348th day of the war.
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported that between 24th February 2022 and 6th February 2023, Russia had lost about 132,160 personnel, 3,231 tanks, 6,415 armoured combat vehicles, 2,231 artillery units, 461 multiple launch rocket systems, 227 air defence systems, 294 warplanes, 284 helicopters, 1,958 drones, 796 cruise missiles, 18 warships, 5,104 motor vehicles and fuel tankers, and 203 units of special equipment.
Russia has claimed that its casualties have been much lower but provides infrequent updates on its latest figures.
Ukraine’s Defence Minister, Oleksii Reznikov, is reportedly set to be replaced by the head of Ukraine’s military intelligence, Major General Kyrylo Budanov.
This is according to Davyd Arakhamia, the head of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky’s Servant of the People party in Parliament, it emerged on Sunday, 5th February.
The move comes after Reznikov is increasingly embroiled in a growing scandal about financial impropriety within the Ministry of Defence and after it emerged that the ministry had been paying twice to three times supermarket food prices to supply troops on the frontlines.
Kyiv is said to be bracing for a potential Russian offensive this month before the first anniversary of the beginning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, on 24th February.
Speaking on Sunday, President Zelensky said: “There are already many reports that the occupiers want to do something symbolic in February to try to avenge their last year’s defeats.”
He added: “We see this increased pressure in various areas of the frontline, as well as pressure in the information field.”
Defence Minister Reznikov has said that Ukraine has enough reserves to hold back Russia’s forces despite having not received the latest Western military equipment.
He said: “Not all of the western weaponry will arrive in time. But we are ready. We have created our resources and reserves, which we are able to deploy and with which we are able to hold back the attack.”
He added: “Despite everything, we expect a possible Russian offensive in February. This is only from the point of view of symbolism; it’s not logical from a military view. Because not all of their resources are ready. But they’re doing it anyway.”
Reznikov also said that Moscow was losing “500 killed and wounded every day in Bakhmut”.
The British Ministry of Defence has said that Bakhmut was becoming “increasingly isolated”.
The UK MoD also said that Russia now had two main routes into the town that were under threat from Ukrainian artillery, which is making it harder to supply defending Russian forces in the town.
Iran and Russia are reportedly looking into building a factory in Russia that could provide over 6,000 drones for its war in Ukraine.