A rowing champ has died in a freak accident after he suffered a severe allergic reaction when he swallowed a bee during training.
Waldonilton de Andrade Reis, 43, had been leading a group of cyclists near the beach of Ponta Negra, near the city of Manaus, in the Brazilian state of Amazonas, when the bee flew into his mouth.
It is understood that the bee brought on a devastating episode of anaphylactic shock. Local media reported he felt sick and then began to struggle to breathe.
Waldonilton had been in a training session when he was struck down on 2nd March. Hospital medics declared him brain dead 21 days later on Thursday, 23rd March.
Tragically, Waldonilton could have been revived if he had been given oxygen and medical treatment within three minutes of the sting.
But the remote training location was too far from well-equipped emergency services to reach him in time, according to local media.
Waldonilton’s sister Rosilene Reis told local media that he had waited a long time for first-aid.
He reportedly spent 20 minutes fighting for breath before medics arrived.
She said: “There was no help, no health centre, no hospital close by. The most that was available was a Fire Department base that didn’t have a doctor on duty.”
Rosilene added that while people frantically looking for help, a sergeant from the local fire department arrived at the scene and managed to revive him.
Waldonilton was then taken to the nearest health facility, the Joventina Dias Emergency Service (SPA), approximately 8.4 kilometres from the location of the incident.
He was then sent to the Delphina Aziz Hospital and Emergency Room and placed in intensive care.
But on 23rd March, doctors said he no longer had any vital signs.
Rosilene said: “The doctors told us that the brain can go up to three minutes without oxygenation.
“If there had been adequate care, a doctor, a fireman, or a health centre, someone could have resuscitated my brother.
“But how did he pass? More than three minutes, it took a while to be taken to Joventina, he couldn’t stand it. No person could stand it.”
The family have said that they hope that measures are taken to avoid similar accidents from happening again, with adequate emergency services being set up in the area.