The reality TV singing contest ‘The Voice of Holland’, which is the original version of the popular global hit singing competition ‘The Voice’, has been suspended by Dutch broadcaster RTL and British television network ITV amid shocking allegations of serious sexual misconduct.
Various members of the show have been accused of sexual misconduct, including bandleader Jeroen Rietbergen, 50, who resigned on Saturday, 15th January.
Members of the show have reportedly been accused of “very serious and shocking” sexual misconduct, according to a statement from its Dutch broadcaster.
Rietbergen resigned on Saturday after admitting to having had “relationships of a sexual nature” with women who were involved with the show. He also added that he had “exchanged sexually explicit messages” with the women.
He added that he did not think that he had been abusing his position on the production team and apologised to the “women involved for things I should never have done”.
Rietbergen reportedly said in his statement that these events took place years ago and that he had since received treatment to help him with an unspecified condition. He also did not specify what treatment he received.
Rietbergen has been in a relationship for over a decade with Dutch TV star Linda de Mol, 57, who is the sister of the creator of The Voice, John de Mol, 66, the man behind the famous reality TV production company Endemol.
Ali B., who is a popular Dutch rapper and a coach on the Dutch version of The Voice, is being investigated by the Netherlands’ Public Prosecution Service for “sexually transgressive behaviour” on the show, according to his lawyer, who has not been named.
There are currently no details regarding the allegations against the rapper, but he is reportedly “100 percent convinced” that he is innocent.
RTL, the Dutch broadcaster that carries the show, which is one of the most watched in the country, announced on Saturday that it was suspending production while the authorities investigated the allegations against Rietbergen and Ali B.
The channel reportedly said in a statement: “The allegations are very serious and shocking and were not known to RTL.”
The broadcaster reportedly added: “Based on these allegations, [The Voice] producer ITV has been contacted and a mutual agreement has been reached that ITV will immediately initiate a diligent, independent investigation. The broadcasts of The Voice of Holland will be suspended for the time being until more is clear.”