An eight-year-old girl has died after taking part in the viral ‘deodorant challenge’.
Tragic Raissa from Sao Paulo, Brazil, breathed in the spray from a can of deodorant before going to bed, local media reported on 22nd December.
It was only the next morning that her devastated mother realised she had died overnight.
Her grieving aunt, Cristiane Marques, told local media: “She was innocent, she didn’t know it would cost her her life.”
Raissa had played with her cousins and sisters that day but had watched the viral challenge on TikTok before going to bed, local media reported.
The dangerous stunt sees participants drawing the toxic spray into their mouth and seeing who can inhale the largest amount over the longest time.
An expert told Brazilian media: “Inhaling a large amount of deodorant can lead to death because when the chemicals in it reach the lungs, they generate an inflammatory action that hinders the passage of oxygen present in the air into the bloodstream.”
It is not clear if Raissa’s untimely death will be investigated by the authorities.