This is the pensioner who accidentally swallowed his false teeth and left them hanging in his throat – as seen in these images – while eating a bowl of pumpkin soup.
Mr Zhu, 65, was enjoying pumpkin and mung bean soup when the dentures carrying his two front teeth fell into the bowl and he swallowed them whole.
He was rushed to the Zhongmin ENT Hospital in Chongqing Municipality’s Jiangjin District, which is in south-western China, where scans showed the metal plate hanging from the base of his oesophagus.
His doctor, Zhou Bo, recalled: “CT scans showed the dentures had entered his oesophagus.
“Worryingly, the plate holding his false teeth had hooks made of wires.”
The metal hooks had caused the dentures to catch onto Mr Zhu’s flesh, lodging themselves firmly in his throat.
Doctor Zhou and his colleagues took Mr Zhu into emergency surgery to have his throat cut open and the false teeth removed.
The medic noted: “When we removed the dentures in surgery, we found the hooks were 4 centimetres (1.5 inches) long.
“Had they fallen further down near his aortic arch, the patient’s life could’ve been in serious danger.”
Mr Zhu is recovering from his operation and is not expected to suffer any long-term effects.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.