WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
This snake catcher made his own mum chop off his finger after it was bitten by a cobra to stop the deadly venom from spreading through his body.
The man, surnamed Chen, 49, was bitten on his index finger by a cobra in Huadu District in the city of Guangzhou in China’s Guangdong Province and quickly came up with the radical solution to stop the venom from spreading through his body.
Chen asked his mother, who has not been named in reports, to chop off the bitten finger. She reportedly hesitated before using a knife to chop off her son’s finger.
Pictures Credit: AsiaWire
Chen arrived at the Guangzhou Hospital of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine more than two hours after the cobra bit him. Local media report doctors were unable to reattach his index finger because they feared it could become re-infected.
The snake catcher was treated for his wounds and reports state his condition is stable.
Images and X-rays show how Chen’s finger was chopped off near the knuckle and a doctor can be seen holding his severed finger.
Chen told local media: “I don’t regret it. The wound will recover soon.”
The exact species of cobra which bit Chen is unclear.
Doctor Lian Zhiming, the Director of Emergencies who carried out the surgery on Chen, told media: “In fact, cutting off the fingers to stop poisoning is not a good solution. If you are accidentally bitten by a poisonous snake, the best thing to do is to seek help from a doctor. Nothing is better than injecting anti-venom in time. Chen could have kept his finger unhurt.”
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.