Heroic doctors have revived a one-year-old boy over half an hour after his heart stopped when he choked on a banana by pumping his chest some 3,600 times.
The incident occurred at the Shunde Women and Children’s Hospital in the city of Foshan in the Guangdong province in southern China.
Local media report the boy’s mother, who has been identified by her surname Lin, had given her son a banana when they were out shopping when he began choking 10 minutes later.
Pictures Credit: AsiaWire
The boy was rushed to hospital but when he arrived after half an hour his heart and breathing had reportedly stopped.
Doctors are said to have pumped the boy’s chest 3,600 times in CPR and doctor Lin Jian said the boy’s heart began faintly beating again after 30 minutes.
Jian added: “A miracle happened.”
The doctors reportedly removed a piece of the banana from the tot’s throat and his vital signs are reportedly stable. However, the boy is in a comatose state and requires assistance from a machine to breathe, according to reports.
One of the doctors at the hospital, Deng Minghong said the boy could suffer from epilepsy, cerebral palsy or “mental retardation” as a result of the incident when he wakes up.