McDonalds Worker Electrocuted While Cleaning Near Fryer

Story ByMaja Mishevksa, Sub EditorMarija StojkoskaAgencyNewsflash

A McDonald’s worker in Peru has been hospitalised after he was electrocuted while cleaning around an apparently faulty fryer.

Oscar Luyo Zeballos was cleaning at a McDonald’s restaurant in the district of Independencia located in the western Peruvian capital Lima when the incident took place.

According to local media, the staff member was cleaning around an electrical fryer when he felt a small shock.

CEN/Oscar Luyo Zevallos

He went to turn the machine off, but his arm came into contact with it and he was reportedly electrocuted.

Luyo Zeballos was rushed to a nearby medical centre where he is currently recovering, according to reports.

Local media said that he reported the fryer as faulty one week before the accident.

CEN/Alexandra Porras

Following the accident, the authorities attempted to visit the restaurant and reportedly issued a fine of 4,300 PEN (985 GBP) after inspectors were refused entry, according to local media.

Local media said the restaurant has been temporarily closed while the investigation is ongoing.

McDonald’s spokeswoman Yusel Jeri said: “The liquid was boiling and went out of the fryer and down the sides which is when it was touched.”

CEN/Gabriel Campos Zapata

Two months ago, a young couple named Alejandra Porras and Gabriel Campos died after being electrocuted while working at a McDonald’s restaurant in the district of Pueblo Libre, also in Lima.

The investigation is ongoing.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.