Man Nearly Loses Arm After Mosquito Infects Him With Flesh Eating Disease - ViralTab

Man Nearly Loses Arm After Mosquito Infects Him With Flesh Eating Disease

Story ByMichael Leidig, Sub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyNewsflash

A man has nearly lost an arm after being bitten by a mosquito that infected him with a flesh-eating disease.

The incident took place in the Chinese city of Xi’an in Shaanxi Province in central China.

After being bitten by a mosquito, the man, who has not been named, was taken to hospital where doctors said that he developed necrotising fasciitis, a rare yet serious bacterial infection that causes tissue death. It is also sometimes known as the ‘flesh-eating disease’.

Man risked amputation after being bitten by mosquito in Xi’an, China. (AsiaWire)

Doctors quickly took the man into surgery in a bid to save his limb. The operation was a success and the man is now reportedly recovering in a stable condition.

One of the doctors, name not reported, explained that the disease is rare but it takes hold quickly and can lead to amputation and even death.

Mosquitoes are just vectors for the disease. People with underlying conditions such as a weakened immune system, due to ailments ranging from diabetes to cancer as well as people who regularly use intravenous drugs or abuse alcohol, are particularly at risk.

Man risked amputation after being bitten by mosquito in Xi’an, China. (AsiaWire)

Symptoms of the disease typically include red or purple blotches on the skin, a severe pain, fever and vomiting.

Michael Leidig

Looking for enquiries from partners to help our freelance journalism network to grow.