Man Covered In Burns After Phone Explodes As He Sleeps

Story ByMaja Mishevksa, Sub EditorMarija StojkoskaAgencyNewsflash

These images show bandages covering the chest and legs of a man after his Motorola phone – also pictured – reportedly exploded while it was charging as he slept.

Catriel Gomez from the town of La Falda in the northern Argentina province of Cordoba had gone out with friends when he came back home, put his phone on charge and fell asleep with it in his hands.

He says he later woke up and felt a strong burning sensation before noticing his Motorola E5 Play had exploded.

CEN

He said: “I woke up and the mobile phone was in flames. The liquid from the battery was left stuck on me.”

His sister, who was in the same room, rushed to help him to stop the fire and Gomez said: “I have blisters from the legs to the arms.”

He was taken to La Falda Hospital where he says doctors told him “they have never seen something similar and that they were shocked”.

CEN

He says doctors “spent more than three hours” treating him and images show his chest and legs wrapped in bandages.

He shared the images on social media with the comment “this is why you should never sleep with a phone on you. You never know what is going to happen”.

Gomez said he had bought the phone five months ago and was still paying for it. It is unclear if Motorola have commented on the incident.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

Ana Lacasa

I am a senior writer and journalist and editor of the Spanish desk for the Central European News agency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *