These images show an enormous cockroach that reportedly fell out of a Brazilian civil servant’s KFC burger after he bit into it.
Carlo Felipe Sardi, 54, said he was dining at KFC in the Iguatemi shopping centre in the city of Porto Alegre in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul with his niece Julia Penha when the incident took place on 27th December.
According to the news site G1, the civil servant said it was his first experience at a KFC restaurant and that he was far from impressed.
Penha posted images of the cockroach allegedly in her uncle’s meal on Twitter on 28th December. At the time of reporting, it has been ‘liked’ 50,000 times and received 3,000 comments.
The young woman accompanied the snaps with the message: “Today I was with my uncle at Iguatemi mall in Porto Alegre and we went to eat at KFC. He ordered a burger and fries, halfway through he took a bite, and a whole piece of what he thought was chicken fell out, but when he looked down, what he actually saw was a whole cockroach.”
Sardi said: “Incredible! I was still chewing the burger. I did not react. This is the kind of thing you only see happening to other people on TV. Nothing prepares you for a moment like this.”
He added that the huge bug was hidden inside the burger: “The cockroach was not in the fries, as they were loose, served alongside the burger. And given the size of the whole insect, it would have been impossible not to see it, let alone bite into it!
“For a few moments, Julia and I were in shock looking at it. Then she decided to take pictures and I complained to the manager.
“I ended up suffering with diarrhoea, stomach cramps, and severe heartburn. I talked with my doctor, who advised me to undergo some tests and take de-worming treatment and antibiotics.
“Unfortunately I haven’t been able to eat anything since the incident. I’m disgusted. I can’t even swallow my own saliva. It accumulates in my mouth and I spit in the sink. The whole thing is much more psychological than physical.”
Following the incident, KFC Brasil said it “strictly follows all the recommendations of the health department and other competent bodies” and that it “is committed to investigating the facts”.
The fast food chain added that it “immediately” contacted the customer as soon as it became aware of the incident.