MAGNET AGONY: Five-Year-Old’s Bowel Burst By Magnetic Beads

Story By:  Ana MarjanovicSub-EditorMichael Leidig, Agency:  Newsflash

A five-year-old boy was left in agony after he swallowed seven magnetic beads that burst through his bowel.

The youngster was rushed to hospital in Changsha, the capital city of central China’s Hunan province, where surgeons performed an emergency op to remove the magnets.

But although they managed to remove six, the seventh bead had perforated the wall of his large intestine, or large bowel.

Boy, 5, critical after ingesting seven magnetic beads of which six were removed in Liuyang, China. (AsiaWire)

Medics could not operate safely to remove the last magnet. The boy – nicknamed Qiqi – was operated on by a team of doctors from the gastrointestinal surgery department and the hospital’s department of anaesthesiology.

Now they believe the seventh bead will have to be passed through the boy’s digestive system and retrieved from his stool.

The young boy is reportedly now out of danger and is being kept under observation until he can recover from his ordeal.