Last Photo Of Tragic Girl, 8, Electrocuted By Faulty Xmas Decoration On Public Square - ViralTab

Last Photo Of Tragic Girl, 8, Electrocuted By Faulty Xmas Decoration On Public Square

Story By: William McGeeSub-EditorLee Bullen, Agency: Newsflash

This picture of a little girl waiting to watch the Christmas lights being switched on with her family was taken moments before she was electrocuted to death by one of the decorations.

Julia Honoria Franco, 8, died when she was struck by the high-voltage blast of electricity in the municipality of Caldas Novas in the Brazilian state of Goias over the weekend.

Her mother, Rejany Honoria de Almeida, said her daughter was happy the day that she took the pictures and she still cannot come to terms with the fact that a short while later she was electrocuted to death.


She said: “What was supposed to be a family outing has become a tragedy.”

The young girl touched a piece of exposed metal, unaware that a faulty wire had made the entire installation live.

The parents and their three children had been looking forward to seeing the Christmas decorations at Mestre Orlando Square and arrived around 30 minutes before they were due to be switched on.


The mother said she took the photo of Julia and then let the children run around and play, which was when she touched the live surface and was electrocuted.

She added: “Julia was so happy. When the children were playing close to a metal structure that was going to be a tunnel of lights, she put her hand inside and it got stuck there.”

Initially, onlookers managed to resuscitate the girl and she was rushed to hospital, but died shortly afterwards.


The mum added: “My husband picked her up and called the ambulance. She was taken to hospital, but had a massive heart attack. She was taken by God.”

The police revealed that council staff had been responsible for setting up the Christmas decorations and were cooperating over the ongoing investigation.

They said that trained workers who had been doing the same job for 10 years were responsible for the entire installation.


Local tourism chiefs said the lights will stay off until additional experts arrive to inspect everything.

The investigation continues.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.