This alleged teenage thug who reportedly broke a Jewish man’s nose also starred in a film about Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz in which he played a violent anti-Semitic thug, it has been revealed.
And the attacker’s Syrian mum has said that the 60-year-old Jew “deserved it”.
The incident took place in Germany’s second-largest city, Hamburg, on 18th September.
The suspect, who has been named only as 16-year-old Aram A., due to strict local privacy laws, is alleged to have repeatedly punched the unnamed 60-year-old Jewish man who was accompanied at the time by his “almost 80-year-old” mother.
The pair were attending a pro-Israel march, and after the violence the attacker fled the scene with his siblings on electric scooters.
The alleged attacker is now revealed to have played a role in a film about Auschwitz, according to the German daily Bild.
The film, called ‘Evolution’ (2021), directed by Kornel Mundruczo, even premiered at the Cannes film Festival back in July this year.
It is about a family of Holocaust survivors still struggling to process their past in modern-day Berlin and the German daily said the suspect played a boy from the German capital in the movie.
In the film, his character bullies the grandson of a woman who was taken to Auschwitz as a young girl, and the German daily report that Aram A. is currently under contract with an acting agency after he was recommended by someone at a local youth centre.
The 60-year-old victim had been taking part in a march in support of Israel and was first insulted by people shouting anti-Semitic slogans before he was attacked when he confronted his attacker over the verbal slurs.
Aram, who reportedly boxes three times a week and has been doing karate since he was eight, allegedly broke the Jewish man’s cheekbone and nose and landed him in hospital for nearly a week, according to the police.
He reportedly suffered multiple fractures to his face. The incident was caught on camera by witnesses who turned over the evidence to the police.
The suspect was traced to Berlin and investigators from both Hamburg and Berlin searched the suspect’s apartment in the Wedding district, where he lives with his family, on Tuesday morning (28th September), according to the German daily.
Police spokesman Holger Vehren is quoted as saying: “The investigators secured alleged evidence and met the suspect of the assault as well as his 14-year-old brother, who was probably one of the alleged escorts on 18th September.”
The suspect was arrested, questioned and subsequently released by the police pending the outcome of their investigation.
The victim, who works in an electronics shop, claims that he was in danger of going partially blind after a piece of glass became lodged in his eye.
He says that even 10 days after the incident, he cannot chew properly and is suffering from headaches. He also says that the eyesight in his right eye is worsening every day.
Speaking to the German daily, the suspect’s mother, who has not been named, said: “My son, his brother, his sister and I were with relatives in Hamburg. As we passed the people from the march, Aram shouted: ‘Free Palestine!'”
The woman, who Bild says is a supporter of the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, regularly takes part in anti-Israel demonstrations and reportedly claimed that the victim wanted her son Aram to be attacked, adding: “He deserved it.”
She said that the police, upon searching her apartment, took the T-shirt that Aram had been wearing on the day of the alleged incident as well as his mobile phone.
Aram A. is being investigated for assault, but it is unclear if he had been charged at the time of writing.
The 60-year-old victim has vowed to be present at the next march in support of Israel.
He said: “I am happy and relieved that the police have caught the attacker and that this is a signal that such acts will not simply be forgotten.”