Story By: Georgina Jadikovska, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash
The illegal street racer who was on trial for negligent homicide after he ran over and killed a six-year-old Syrian refugee in Germany has been handed a three-year prison sentence.
The man he was racing against was also on trial received a two-year probation sentence
The killer driver named only as Mohammad F. because of local privacy laws and hit six-year-old Ali at an estimated 90 kph (56 mph), sending the little boy’s body smashing into a bus stop and killing him instantly.
The incident happened in the German city of Dresden on 22nd August last year (2020).
The Dresden Regional Court has sentenced Mohammad F., 32, to three years and nine months in prison whilst the man he was racing, Mouhammed A., 24, was handed a two-year suspended sentence.
In addition to the prison sentence, Mohammad F. will not be allowed to sit behind the wheel for five years after the court revoked his driver’s licence.
The court also confiscated the two men’s cars.
Little Ali fled Syria with his family after his dad was killed in the war and finally settled down in the city of Dresden in Germany in 2015.
The six-year-old was enjoying his last few days before starting school when he went out for a walk with his brother Mohammed, 9, and another unnamed friend, aged 8.
The three boys had just left the supermarket after buying themselves some sweets when Ali was hit by a speeding Mercedes driven by Mohammad F. who was also originally from Syria.
The police found that Mohammad was racing his Mercedes along from Kesseldorfer to Budapester Strasse against Mouhammed A.
The Mercedes ploughed into the six-year-old boy at 90 kph (56 mph) and according to Prosecutor Juergen Schmidt the impact launched the boy 21.5 metres (70 feet) through the air.
The boy then smashed through the glass panels of a bus stop and hit the tarmac six metres (19 feet) later. The boy was killed instantly by the impact dying at the scene on 22nd August 2020
The judge according to whom there was no doubt that the two suspects were participating in an illegal race said in his ruling: “Stupid and irresponsible behaviour has ruined a family and taken a child’s life.”
Mouhammed A. who was involved in the race said: “This was the biggest mistake of my life. I want to apologize for what I did and take full responsibility.”
He even offered to pay the child’s mother Nirsin A., 29 EUR 5,000 (GBP 4,295) “without wanting to buy himself out” of the situation.
Local media reported that Mohammed F. also apologised for his reckless behaviour in the trial on Monday, but his compensation offer for the family’s pain and suffering was deliberately refused by the mother Nirsin A.
The impact the incident has had on the 29-year old mother has been made worse by the fact that her home overlooks the street where her son was killed.