Video Credit: AsiaWire
Six people crammed inside a karaoke bar lift were injured when one of their cigarettes caused a string of hydrogen balloons to erupt in their faces.
The accident happened in the city of Xingping in north-western China’s Shaanxi Province on 14th February.
One of the patrons, surnamed Yang, said the last thing he recalled was the sound of somebody lighting a cigarette.
He and the others – three men and two women – had been invited to the karaoke bar on the fourth floor for a party, but the blast happened before they even arrived.
Grainy CCTV footage from the lift shows a string of balloons occupying the car when they suddenly erupt in a ball of flames on the third floor.
All six suffered suffered burn injuries to their face and limbs as the hydrogen gas was set alight inside the tiny, cramped lift car.
They all rushed into the karaoke lobby as the lift stopped and the doors opened.
Yang and the five others were all taken to Xingping People’s Hospital for treatment and remain under observation.
Local police are understood to be investigating the incident and could charge the alleged smoker over the accident.
The sale of hydrogen balloons is regulated in China, where several major cities have outlawed them because of their dangers contents.
It is unclear who purchased the balloons for the party.
Picture Credit: AsiaWire