Video Credit: AsiaWire
This is the moment two heroic pedestrians scale the front of a residential block and break the window of a woman’s flat to help put out a fire in her kitchen.
Homeowner Ms Yao had left the gas stove on and was not home when the blaze threatened to engulf her flat and sent smoke rising out of her first-floor window into the street.
Footage taken by local resident Yan Li in the city of Gaoyou in China’s eastern Jiangsu Province shows rescuers Huang Ganhai and Mr Ma scaling the side of the building on 7th July.
Pictures Credit: AsiaWire
Huang, who is wearing a red top, reaches Ms Yao’s first-floor window but finds its enclosed by burglar bars.
He forcefully kicks the security bars apart and bravely climbs into Ms Yao’s home, with Mr Ma – in a white T-shirt – following behind him.
Between the pair, they were able to turn off Ms Yao’s gas cylinder and put out the dangerous grease fire in her kitchen.
Police chest cam video shows the two rescuers later opening the door for arriving officers in the corridor outside, with Ms Yao’s home seen filled with smoke from the accident.
Huang recalled: “The fire was burning out of control and the home was covered in thick smoke. It was hard to breathe.”
He said he knocked on the woman’s door and tried to kick it down when he realised nobody was home, but it would not budge, so he decided to enter the flat from the window.
He and Mr Ma were not harmed during the incident.
Ms Yao said: “I left the gas cooker on forgot about it. I was preparing meat for the next day’s meal. Then I left to run an errand.”
Huang and Mr Ma left the scene of the accident shortly after police arrived.
Mr Yao said she hoped to thank them in person.
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.