Doctors have removed an entire 4-inch screwdriver from a patient’s stomach after he swallowed it in a rage during an argument with his parents.
The unnamed patient, aged 32, was taken to the Second People’s Hospital of Yichang in Central China’s Hubei Province.
Gastroenterologist Peng Qin recalled: “The family of the young man in his early 30s claimed he had swallowed a screwdriver.”
Pictures Credit: AsiaWire
Reports said he pulled the stunt during an argument with his mum and dad, but the details of their quarrel have not been revealed.
“During an endoscopy, we found it was really the entire screwdriver – handle and all – in his stomach,” Peng added.
Images show the blue flat-head screwdriver appearing to be resting in his stomach near the beginning of his small intestine, requiring emergency surgery.
Peng said: “We wiggled it around and were finally able to remove it via his stomach, through his oesophagus and then out his mouth.
“We estimated it to be roughly 10 centimetres (3.9 inches) in length, but we measured it to be 12 centimetres (4.7 inches) long.
“Had it been left inside the patient’s body for prolonged period of time, it might’ve caused punctures in his digestive system, leading to further illnesses.”
The patient is expected to make a full recovery.