A young doctor has died a day before getting married after a fishing rod he was holding during a professional wedding photoshoot with his fiancee got stuck in a high-voltage power line.
Dr Denis Ricardo Faria Gurgel died at the age of 31 after being electrocuted in a rural area of the Brazilian municipality of Cariri do Tocantins on Thursday, 29th July.
He and his fiancee were doing a photoshoot with a professional photographer on the banks of a reservoir when the tragic accident took place.
The two were posing for photos with fishing rods, and when they cast them, the hook of one of them got caught on a power line.
Denis went over to remove the hook, but he received an electric shock when he put both hands on the power line after it was revealed that the plastic coating had come away on some parts of the cable.
The fire brigade and an ambulance were called. However, when they arrived on the scene, Denis was already lying lifeless on the ground.
According to the firemen, they confirmed that the power line was exposed in parts, and the young doctor had apparently come into contact with it.
Denis worked for the Gurupi Municipal Health Department in a COVID-19 triage centre and also worked shifts for the Lagoa da Confusao City Hall.
The Gurupi City Hall wrote: “Helpful and always polite, Denis was very dear to his professional colleagues and also to his patients. His premature death leaves everyone shocked and in mourning for this great loss.”
The Lagoa da Confusao City Hall wrote: “The city hall expresses its solidarity with family members and friends. May God comfort everyone’s heart at this time.”
Denis and his fiancee had been due to wed in a ceremony in the municipality of Gurupi on Friday, 30th July.
It was not reported if the police are investigating the case.