A victim of a crash that killed seven tourists when a drink-driver rammed a group of young people has demanded GBP 3.2 million from the coach firm that dropped them by the road.
A writ filed for the now severely disabled 27-year-old survivor claims the coach driver was partially responsible for the crash in northern Italy in 2020.
The civil suit – filed at the regional court in Bolzano, South Tyrol, northern Italy – says the coach driver’s headlights partially blinded the drunk Audi TT driver before the crash.
Driver Stefan L.’s car then hit the group of young people outside their holiday accommodation.
Six died on the spot and 11 were airlifted to hospitals across the region. One of the injured victims died later.
Now one of the severely disabled survivors is seeking EUR 3.7 million (GBP 3.2 million) in compensation to help pay for his round-the-clock care.
Co-plaintiff lawyer Dr Markus Wenter, 62, told German media on Wednesday, 16th November: “The bus driver blinded the night without permission and let the tourist group get off in an unsafe place.”
Stefan L. was reportedly blinded by the high beam and reportedly tried to dodge the group at 90kph.
Proceeding against the Audi driver are set to start on Monday, 21st November.
He has to answer for the negligent killing of seven people and negligent bodily harm to 10 others. His insurance has already compensated the survivors and victims to the tune of EUR 10 million (GBP 8.7 million).
The investigation has taken almost three years and has revealed that after visiting a bar in the Italian village of Lutago, the bus driver allegedly stopped in a way that forced the group of people to have to cross the road after they got off.
Wenter said: “He would only have had to drive a few hundred meters further, turn around and drive back to the German pension, then the accident would certainly not have happened.”
So far, the insurance company has refused to cough up for the 27-year-old survivor, with Wenter saying: “After studying physics, he had already signed for an assistant position at the university, has now been confined to bed for the rest of his life and has to be cared for by his parents around the clock.”
The amount demanded from the insurance company is to cover the cost of care so far and to cover future costs. A hearing has been set for 26th January, 2023 at the Bolzano Regional Court.
Stefan L. faces up to 18 years in prison. After spending a short time in custody, he was reportedly sent to live in a monastery, where he still resides and works.