Ecuador International Accused Of Attempted Femicide

Story By: Juan Mayes, Sub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyGolder’s News And Sport

This Ecuador international has been sent to preventative prison after he was accused of attempted femicide and domestic abuse for allegedly hitting his pregnant wife.

Golders/@renatoibarra

Club America winger Renato Ibarra, 29, was moved to the Preventative Prison North in the Mexican capital city of Mexico City on Saturday 7th March after he was detained on Thursday of last week.

Ibarra has reportedly been accused of attempted femicide and domestic abuse by his pregnant wife Lucely Estefania Chala, 24, which could see him stay in preventative custody until 14th March whilst prosecutors collect evidence.

The move to preventative custody comes after Ibarra reportedly failed to reach an agreement with his wife and her sister during a first hearing which occurred at the prison where he is being held.

Lucely Estefania was hospitalised after the incident but received was discharged on Saturday 7th March after being at risk of losing the child. However, both she and her child are reportedly out of danger.

Golders/@renatoibarra

Several others were arrested along with Ibarra including his siblings Byron and Alexandra as well as Ecuadorian boxer Marlon Aguas, 29, and his sister. A fourth man reported as Victor Hugo Viveros Padilla was arrested. It is unclear why they were also placed under custody.

A close friend of Ibarra named Angel Tapia spoke with Mexican radio programme ‘W Deportes’ broadcast by Televisa Radio and said: “Lucely, Renato’s wife, is fine.

“The baby is fine” adding that “she already left the hospital and there are no risks for her pregnancy.”

Pic Golders/@renatoibarra

The victim’s father Cleber Chala claims to have video evidence of the incident saying: “He will not be able to deny anything.

“I have videos of everything. To start, how can you hit a pregnant woman?”

Ibarra made a post on Friday 6th March shortly after the news of his detention was reported denying the claims saying: “I want to clear up some rumours over me being detained for hitting my partner.

“That information is absolutely false. I find myself supporting the authorities due to a misunderstanding in which my family is unfortunately involved.

“I want to be very clear in that all the versions that mention me and my partner are totally false, I would never lay a hand on any woman. Thanks! Renato Ibarra.”

Club America said in a statement after Ibarra was detained: “There will be no statement until the authorities conclude their due diligence.”

America are third in Liga MX with 17 points and Ibarra, who spent five season in Euope at Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, is considered to be a key player for the club having made 21 appearances this season.

A second hearing is set to take place on Thursday 12th March. If both parties are unable to reach an agreement, Ibarra will have the opportunity to ask for bail as a third hearing could take up to three months to take place.

Local media report Ibarra could face between 10 to 40 years in prison if found guilty of the accusations. The investigation is ongoing.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *