German authorities are investigating an Islamist YouTuber who allegedly swindled over EUR 1 million from COVID-19 relief funds allegedly obtained through forged documents.
The Syrian refugee and Salafist, named as Fayez Kanfash, 25, who is reportedly a YouTuber, is the focus of an investigation by the German authorities into fraudulent coronavirus relief money, with the police carrying out raids in Berlin and in seven federal states in Germany, on Tuesday, 22nd November.
The YouTuber first came to the attention of the authorities after releasing controversial hate videos online.
Dressed in traditional Arabic clothes, he was filmed whipping a man in a woman’s wig and wearing a mask of French President Emmanuel Macron, shouting “dog” and “vermin” in Arabic, in November 2020.
In another video, he appeared to hunt men wearing German police uniforms with a realistic-looking gun.
The notorious Islamist, who reportedly likes to wear luxury brand clothes, is alleged to have swindled over EUR 1 million (GBP 858,000) in funding using fake documents during the coronavirus crisis.
Senior public prosecutor Sebastian Buechner told German media: “He is said to have used the personal details and tax data of straw men, who also made their accounts available for the payments.”
Prosecutors believe that the alleged fraud was organised in Berlin. It is currently unclear if others also benefited from the alleged fraud, with seven suspects currently being investigated.
The public prosecutor’s office said that none of the money had been retrieved so far but considerable evidence is currently being studied.
The investigation is ongoing.