Cat Saves Owner By Waking Her Up During Fire

Story ByAlex CopeSub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyAsia Wire Report

A cat owner says her pet saved her life after it woke her up from a fire which had engulfed their flat.

Canan Sengil, 48, was asleep in her fourth-floor flat in the Guzelyali area in Cukurova district in the Adana province of southern Turkey when the fire broke out.

Sengil says her cat Efe (Brave) began clawing at her hair, telling reporters: “I went to sleep at 11:30. My cat usually wakes me up at night to get under the covers, but this time was different, he was pulling my hair really strong. As I woke up I saw the whole house in smoke and flames all over.”

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Pictures Credit: AsiaWire

She added: “I ran outside and shouted for help to the neighbours but my cat remained inside. My neighbours, together with the firefighters, saved him, he was hiding in the bathroom. I went crazy when I saw that my cat was missing, I begged the firefighters to find him, I said I only want my cat, the house is not important, I can sleep on the street.”

Reports state the fire was caused by a fault in a piece of electrical equipment in the flat.

Both the woman and cat were uninjured in the incident and Sengil said: “I lost everything I had by I don’t mind, my cat is alive that is all that matters. He is just like his name Efe (Brave).”

Sengil has been looking after Efe for over eight years and says she is trying to find a way to move back into her flat as she has no financial support.

Alex Cope

I am a senior writer and editor of the Golders news agency specialising in sports news from around the world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *